Monday, August 20, 2007

POST ONE

Do you think that Mersault's character will undergo a change by the end of the novel? Defend your reasoning.

21 comments:

GitSideWayz08 said...

I think that he is not very caring. He doesnt show a whole lot of emotion, nor does he view life as anything more than a tedious chore.

lc1215 said...

I think he honestly didn't care about his mother dieing, and he thought it was a chore, so he wanted to make the process as short as possible. Which is why he didn't want to see her body.

Anonymous said...

I think that meursault is very cauloused. He treats his mother's death as an every day thing, like it isn't out of the ordinary. He says that he doesn't even want to see the body of his mother. It seems like he thinks if he doesn't look like her he doesn't have to deal with the baggage she brought him. I think he wants it to be over and forget about his mom.

Caitlyn said...

I think that Meursalt is very unemotional and cold. You would think if someone's mother just died, then they would at least show a little bit of sadness whether they had a great relationship with their mother or not. You wouldn't just move on automatically, and life would be changed at least for a little while. I also didn't like the way that he kept complaining about the inconvenience of the funeral. Funerals should remind you of what is important in life, like your family and friends instead of causing you to complain about little things.

Anonymous said...

Based on his mothers death, I think Meursault is really a really pessimistic person. He talks about how much trouble it is to go see his mother, yet he should want to visit her. The way that he reacted, saying that nothing had changed, citing that it was too much trouble to go see her, and so on, also makes me feel like he doesn't care much about anything. When something happens that's as big as the death of someone who has cared for you your entire life, you figure someone would show emotion. The fact that Meursault doesn't seem to care all that much, makes me wonder wh at he does care about.

Lightgoddess said...

I think that it is hard to have an opion on his feelings because he has none. I think if he showed emotion at his mother's death than I would feel sorry for him, but he is just a cold man with no feelings.

Ashleigh said...

I think that he is more or less emotionless and doesn't care about anything. Right after his mother died he wasn't even showing any type of emotion and said that his life was more or less still the same. I view him kind of as a shell of a person who doesn't really show any emotions or care about anyone. I am not personally fond of him as a character or a person.

Betsy said...

I think Meursalt has had a bad past involving his mother because when she died, he really didn't show any emotions. He didn't even look at her before they layed her to rest. This shows he shows no interest in emotions or life.

Kayla C. said...

I don't believe that Meursault is depressed, but judgeing from his actions he seems to just not care about very much, and just goes through life without showing emotion.

Mehchel said...

I personally like his character, although I consider his reaction to be quite heartless and abnormal; any normal person would have mourned their mother's death. I think that is what I like most about him, his abnormality. I find his personality as a whole to be pretty unique; I've never read a novel with someone like him before, because the main characters are generally good in books I've read, and he's really not coming off as a heroic figure. And I must say, he reminds me a lot of someone I know. That could be why I like him too, I guess.

Jeff Wiegert said...

I don't think that Mersault is depressed, I think that he only cares for what's happening at that exact moment. He bases his actions on how he is feeling and what makes him feel good, without stopping to consider how it might make him appear in the eyes of people around him. I think the reason he doesn't act more saddened by his mother's death is because he can't change it. He has the mentality that 'you can't change the past.'

Amber Hogan said...

I believe that Meursault is deeply depressed. He sounds as if he had a bad childhood. Something probably happened in his early life that made him and his mom seperate. This is probably why he did not show much emotion when he recieved the telegram informing him of his mother's death.

Athos said...

i think he's alot like me, obviously most of the rest of you enjoy your families, well growing up i didn't, my grandmother was abusive, if someone in my family died, i wouldn't really care, it wouldn't be a chore, but it would just be something else that happened in the day, and thats honestly how i feel

Anonymous said...

I think meursaults feelings toward his mother are unhuman. He showed no emotion what so ever. I can understand him being mad,sad, happy, confused, psycotic even. But no, he feels NOTHING. Its pretty confusing for me as the reader.

Anonymous said...

I think that he really doesn't care. Or he doesn't want to realize that she really is dead. It seems like he is just going along with life and not really doing anything with it. He's got that "Yea okay, whatever" attitude.

HairyMouth said...

I think that He is a genious. He is right. His mothers death won't free him from the routine of everyday life. everything is still the same. and everyday is jut another day. it sucks, yeah. but get over it.

Anonymous said...

He seems like a person who isnt thrilled by everyday life. Nothing seems to phase him or even bring out emotion. His mothers death really had no effect on him, because its not that he doesnt care, he just see's it as something that happens in life and accepts it. he is not held down by meaningless emotions.

oneyearsixmonths said...

Well, at first I was rather shocked, because going into this book, I didn't really know his character, but now that I do I think his reaction was one to be expected. He was pretty much uncaring about the whole thing. He didn't ask to see his mother one last time, which, for anyone but him, would be weird. But since it is Meursault, makes sense to me. He doesn't seem like a person who expresses emotion at all.

Molly said...

I Don't think he really cares about his mom or the fact that she is dead and that he has a hard time showing his emotions.

lindsey said...

I think he felt his mothers death was not a big deal to him. He could had shown more sympathy toward his mothers friends. Hes not a very caring character.

Krystle said...

i think he is not a caring person at all b/c he showed no emotion towards his mothers death. I also think he is very cowardly b/c he did not want an open casket.