I agree with Ashleigh, who said that she doesn't really like the main character. I don't like him either, because he seems like an odd character. He doesn't show emotion, which doesn't make him someone that anyone can really connect with.
Many people such as Samantha have been saying how they think Mersault is a pessimistic person, but I disagree. I think he is the kind of person who makes the people around them possibly feel bad about themselves, but I'm sure he doesn't think he's pessimistic. Ussually when someone is pessimistic or depressed they know they are and do it on purpose. It seems like Mersault just goes through the motions, he does things that please him, and completes the tedious tasks of life that are necessary.
I think GitSideWayz08 is right. When they mentioned the foreshadowing I was like " That is very smart thinking"! They were good at lookng outside of the box.
I agree with lightgoddess, it is hard to have an opinion on him because he is so emotionless. His inability to express emotion shows that he has pretty much given up on life. He's become almost like a zombie, going with daily life without having an effect at all.
I disagree with lightgoddess on the first post. I do not believe that Meursault is a cold, emotionless person. He simply has trouble showing his feelings.
I agree with Caitlyn and all the others who have said that they find Mersault to be an odd character. Even if he is just the type of person who doesn't show much emotion, as a character it makes it really hard for us to connect with him or understand what is going on in his head.
I agree with lightgoddess. If he showed even the slightest bit of emotion, I would feel sorry for him and maybe evern get into the book. But, he didn't show any emotion, he was as cold as stone. I really don't feel sorry for him.
To respond to kayla c. post about me saying that Meursault is a cold person, I'd have to say that if he has trouble showing his feelings it makes him seem cold and distant. Even in the most intimate settings (Marie asking if he loves her) he freezes up on his emotions.
I honestly do not see where hairymouth is headed with his post. The overall concept competely eludes me. However i respect his creative ability and hope that it will lead to a future career.
I agree with Ashleigh. If there is anyone that could change Mersault or make him care about anything, it will most likely be Marie. Not because he loves her though, but because he likes sleeping with her and probably doesn't want to lose that.
I agree with Lightgoddess. I think that Marie will leave Mersault just like the dog left the old man. Mersault is taking Marie's feeling towards him for granted.
I agree with Samantha on the first post: "The fact that Meursault doesn't seem to care all that much, makes me wonder what he does care about." I'm wondering too if there is anything that does matter to him. Maybe he's just hiding his feelings, or maybe he's really that apathetic about life. Hopefully we will find out what matters to him if there is anything. If not, I guess he really is just a strange guy.
I agree with michelle on her uniqueness of the character. Shes right, Ive never read of a character like this one. Im down for individuality, but knowing nothing else about him, not so much. Individuality and personality bounce off of each other. In my opinion, yiou can't just have one. It seems like he's incomplete, missing something. Getting further along in the book, he just seems like a "hollow man" (dunaways llthgrade comp,dont ask)Theres nothing else to him
I agree with Lightgoddess. I think Marie will leave Mersault like when the dog left the old man early in the novel. Mersault does not care about people's feelings and I think others will soon find out that he has a hard time showing his emotions and they will all stop caring about him.
I agree with Lightgoddess/kayla c. I think that Mersault probably has a very limited set of emotions, but that they must be locked away or hidden very deeply inside him. He's kind of an idiot though, to say that to Marie. It made me sad.
i agree with ashleigh his character is very hard to connect with, and it is hard to see from his perspective. He seems like a very confused and messed up character that doesn't know who he is and what his place is in the world.
24 comments:
i agree with lc1215. i think he simply viewed the funeral and dealing with his mother as a chore
I agree with Ashleigh, who said that she doesn't really like the main character. I don't like him either, because he seems like an odd character. He doesn't show emotion, which doesn't make him someone that anyone can really connect with.
Many people such as Samantha have been saying how they think Mersault is a pessimistic person, but I disagree. I think he is the kind of person who makes the people around them possibly feel bad about themselves, but I'm sure he doesn't think he's pessimistic. Ussually when someone is pessimistic or depressed they know they are and do it on purpose. It seems like Mersault just goes through the motions, he does things that please him, and completes the tedious tasks of life that are necessary.
I think GitSideWayz08 is right. When they mentioned the foreshadowing I was like " That is very smart thinking"! They were good at lookng outside of the box.
I agree with Betsy. I think Meursault and his mom had a rough past, and something happened to drag their relationship so far apart.
I agree with lightgoddess, it is hard to have an opinion on him because he is so emotionless. His inability to express emotion shows that he has pretty much given up on life. He's become almost like a zombie, going with daily life without having an effect at all.
I disagree with lightgoddess on the first post. I do not believe that Meursault is a cold, emotionless person. He simply has trouble showing his feelings.
I agree with Caitlyn and all the others who have said that they find Mersault to be an odd character. Even if he is just the type of person who doesn't show much emotion, as a character it makes it really hard for us to connect with him or understand what is going on in his head.
I think Esteban is headed down the path to correctyness. i agree with him
I agree with lightgoddess. If he showed even the slightest bit of emotion, I would feel sorry for him and maybe evern get into the book. But, he didn't show any emotion, he was as cold as stone. I really don't feel sorry for him.
To respond to kayla c. post about me saying that Meursault is a cold person, I'd have to say that if he has trouble showing his feelings it makes him seem cold and distant. Even in the most intimate settings (Marie asking if he loves her) he freezes up on his emotions.
I honestly do not see where hairymouth is headed with his post. The overall concept competely eludes me. However i respect his creative ability and hope that it will lead to a future career.
I agree with Ashleigh. If there is anyone that could change Mersault or make him care about anything, it will most likely be Marie. Not because he loves her though, but because he likes sleeping with her and probably doesn't want to lose that.
I agree with Lightgoddess. I think that Marie will leave Mersault just like the dog left the old man. Mersault is taking Marie's feeling towards him for granted.
i quite agree with hairymouth the funeral didn't free him from daily routine so why pretend that it did
I agree with Samantha on the first post: "The fact that Meursault doesn't seem to care all that much, makes me wonder what he does care about."
I'm wondering too if there is anything that does matter to him. Maybe he's just hiding his feelings, or maybe he's really that apathetic about life. Hopefully we will find out what matters to him if there is anything. If not, I guess he really is just a strange guy.
I agree with michelle on her uniqueness of the character. Shes right, Ive never read of a character like this one. Im down for individuality, but knowing nothing else about him, not so much. Individuality and personality bounce off of each other. In my opinion, yiou can't just have one. It seems like he's incomplete, missing something. Getting further along in the book, he just seems like a "hollow man" (dunaways llthgrade comp,dont ask)Theres nothing else to him
if you want another character like this one read darkly dreaming dexter by jeff lindsay
I agree with Lightgoddess. I think Marie will leave Mersault like when the dog left the old man early in the novel. Mersault does not care about people's feelings and I think others will soon find out that he has a hard time showing his emotions and they will all stop caring about him.
I agree with Lightgoddess/kayla c. I think that Mersault probably has a very limited set of emotions, but that they must be locked away or hidden very deeply inside him. He's kind of an idiot though, to say that to Marie. It made me sad.
Totally agree with esteban's 1st post. He just had to deal with it, but to show no emotions at all, what kind of person does not show any emotions.
I think betsy and GitSideWayz08 have good was of looking at the situation going on in the book . They are both using their brains.
i agree with ashleigh his character is very hard to connect with, and it is hard to see from his perspective. He seems like a very confused and messed up character that doesn't know who he is and what his place is in the world.
Post a Comment