Immediately after Mersault shoots the Arab he states, "It was like knocking four quick times on the door of unhappiness." In a paragraph, explain this quotation.
I think he said it was like knocking on the door of unhappiness because he didn't become happy after killing the Arab. He thought he would, but he still felt only unhappiness. Each shot was a knock on the door, without feeling the emotion of joy, as expected, but yet again feeling unhappiness.
He means that even though it felt really really god to shoot that dum-dum, with his murder he now has to live an unhapopy life in paying for his criiiiiiime. I am hungry
in this quote he is basically showing a type of remorse. he knows what he did will have consequences. he may not feel regret for killing him but he regrets it because he doesnt want to go to prison or be away from the girl
The shots represent the knocking, as by shooting the Arab he is inviting unhappiness into his life. ("knocking on the door of unhappiness"). It sorta represents him changing his life for the worse.
"It was like knocking four quick times on the door of unhappiness." means that with each shot he became more and more unhappy.He probably thought that shooting the Arab would let him release some of his frustration and anger, therefore making him more happy, but it did the exact opposite.
actually the quote is " and each sucessful shot was another loud rap on the doo of my undoing" meaning that he will have to assume rersponsibility for the actions he has taken.
I think it means that, even though he killed someone, and he believes that death is one of the "ultimate" experiences in life or whatever, he didn't feel what he thought he would. Sort of like he was let down by his own expectations.
Maybe he is saying that he was in control for four seconds and causing the unhapiness that this person was feeling. We talked about how he liked being in control and I think this quote relates to that.
i think this quote means that even though he was unhappy at the begining of the book, that insident brought him closer to that "door" of unhappiness. because before he was only walking towards the door, and now he is knocking on the door of unhappiness, and soon i think he will enter through the door,and officialy be unhappy, if he doesn't change.
I think the quote just proves that he will not change. "four quick knocks on the door of unhappiness". He is telling the readers that he will be unhappy from now on. He hasn't been that happy untill now and he won't be later.
By the quote I think he is showing that he does have feelings and that he does know what he did. By killing the guy it is helping him show more emotion.
I am going to go with a more literal theme, and say that each time he shot, the gunshot hurt his headache worse. heh I also think that maybe it was like, those shots represented how his lifestyle was going to change from the ease and indifference to being in jail and considered a criminal. By killing the Arab, he was asking for trouble, and unhappiness, and those shots kinda marked that.
I think that he meant that even after he had killed the man he was still unhappy. Hw thought it would be more than it really was. He continually pulled the trigger yet still felt nothing. In a wierd way he thought it would meke him feel happy or better about himself but it didn't.
I think that in him saying "knocking on the door of unhappiness," means he relized it was really pointless for him to kill the guy. He just put himself in a bad situation for later on and he would not be happy with the situation. I think he was also talking about the extra 4 shots he used on the already dead guy. This would explain that even thought the guy who attacked his friend, Raymond, he did not feel happy about the shooting.
I think that the "four knocks at the door of unhappiness" really don't have any significance. When Mersault shot the Arab, he fired once, killing him, then shot four more times. Those last four shots are the "knocks at the door of unhappiness." He's unhappy, because murder isn't really a very joyous subject.
I think the whole door of unhappiness deal is possibly him using some literary term i cant seem to remember right now as a code. Maybe this means his plans ( whatever they may be) are about to fall into effect, his killing someone is apart of the plan and his "unhappiness" just the begining of something big!
He compares shooting the Arab to knocking four times onto the door on unhappiness, because every shot he fired led him closer and closer to unhappiness just as knocking on the door to it would lead him closer and closed inside, to the unhappiness. As he shoots the Arab, he considers the fact that before he shot, being on the beach with Marie made him happy. But every shot made him more and more unhappy, because I don't think he really wanted to commit the murder. I think after he did it he may have realized that this was going to change his peaceful, repeative life; it would take away all the happiness he didn't know he had. And although he doesn't seem to realize that he is a criminal when he goes into questioning, I believe he knows his life may never be the same again.
21 comments:
I think he said it was like knocking on the door of unhappiness because he didn't become happy after killing the Arab. He thought he would, but he still felt only unhappiness. Each shot was a knock on the door, without feeling the emotion of joy, as expected, but yet again feeling unhappiness.
He means that even though it felt really really god to shoot that dum-dum, with his murder he now has to live an unhapopy life in paying for his criiiiiiime. I am hungry
I think it means that having control did not bring the happiness that he thought it would.
in this quote he is basically showing a type of remorse. he knows what he did will have consequences. he may not feel regret for killing him but he regrets it because he doesnt want to go to prison or be away from the girl
The shots represent the knocking, as by shooting the Arab he is inviting unhappiness into his life. ("knocking on the door of unhappiness"). It sorta represents him changing his life for the worse.
"It was like knocking four quick times on the door of unhappiness." means that with each shot he became more and more unhappy.He probably thought that shooting the Arab would let him release some of his frustration and anger, therefore making him more happy, but it did the exact opposite.
actually the quote is " and each sucessful shot was another loud rap on the doo of my undoing" meaning that he will have to assume rersponsibility for the actions he has taken.
I think it means that, even though he killed someone, and he believes that death is one of the "ultimate" experiences in life or whatever, he didn't feel what he thought he would. Sort of like he was let down by his own expectations.
Maybe he is saying that he was in control for four seconds and causing the unhapiness that this person was feeling. We talked about how he liked being in control and I think this quote relates to that.
i think this quote means that even though he was unhappy at the begining of the book, that insident brought him closer to that "door" of unhappiness. because before he was only walking towards the door, and now he is knocking on the door of unhappiness, and soon i think he will enter through the door,and officialy be unhappy, if he doesn't change.
I think the quote just proves that he will not change. "four quick knocks on the door of unhappiness". He is telling the readers that he will be unhappy from now on. He hasn't been that happy untill now and he won't be later.
By the quote I think he is showing that he does have feelings and that he does know what he did. By killing the guy it is helping him show more emotion.
I think he really didn't know what he was doing. And what he was doing was probably wrong, but it was already too late to stop what he had done.
I think that he shot the arab 4 times after not for happiness but just to do it.
I am going to go with a more literal theme, and say that each time he shot, the gunshot hurt his headache worse. heh I also think that maybe it was like, those shots represented how his lifestyle was going to change from the ease and indifference to being in jail and considered a criminal. By killing the Arab, he was asking for trouble, and unhappiness, and those shots kinda marked that.
I think that he meant that even after he had killed the man he was still unhappy. Hw thought it would be more than it really was. He continually pulled the trigger yet still felt nothing. In a wierd way he thought it would meke him feel happy or better about himself but it didn't.
I think that in him saying "knocking on the door of unhappiness," means he relized it was really pointless for him to kill the guy. He just put himself in a bad situation for later on and he would not be happy with the situation. I think he was also talking about the extra 4 shots he used on the already dead guy. This would explain that even thought the guy who attacked his friend, Raymond, he did not feel happy about the shooting.
I think that the "four knocks at the door of unhappiness" really don't have any significance. When Mersault shot the Arab, he fired once, killing him, then shot four more times. Those last four shots are the "knocks at the door of unhappiness." He's unhappy, because murder isn't really a very joyous subject.
I think this means he know his life would completly change for the worst after he killed him.
I think the whole door of unhappiness deal is possibly him using some literary term i cant seem to remember right now as a code. Maybe this means his plans ( whatever they may be) are about to fall into effect, his killing someone is apart of the plan and his "unhappiness" just the begining of something big!
He compares shooting the Arab to knocking four times onto the door on unhappiness, because every shot he fired led him closer and closer to unhappiness just as knocking on the door to it would lead him closer and closed inside, to the unhappiness. As he shoots the Arab, he considers the fact that before he shot, being on the beach with Marie made him happy. But every shot made him more and more unhappy, because I don't think he really wanted to commit the murder. I think after he did it he may have realized that this was going to change his peaceful, repeative life; it would take away all the happiness he didn't know he had. And although he doesn't seem to realize that he is a criminal when he goes into questioning, I believe he knows his life may never be the same again.
Post a Comment