Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Post One

Do you believe Meursault is a religious person? How do you or do not know?

19 comments:

lc1215 said...

I don't think he's a religous person, unless you count atheism. He doesn't seem to me to have ant faith in a "higher" being.

Ashleigh said...

I guess you could consider Meursalt a religious person. I personally dont agree with his beliefs but I suppose he does have beliefs because he is very strong in the fact that he is positive that there is no God and that it really doesn't matter. He knows what6 he believes and that is basically that he believes in nothing.

Amber Hogan said...

I don't think Meursault is a religiouse person in the sence of the divine and God Almighty.

Anonymous said...

I do not beleive he is a religious person. Well not religious in the way we may see religion to be. He probably has his own beleifs, however he does not show them.

Kayla C. said...

I don't think Meursault is religious. Just because he views death as a "new beginning" doesn't mean he believes in god or an afterlife.

Molly said...

No I don't think he is a religous person because of his views on life and death.

HairyMouth said...

i think he is not a religious perosn. doesnt seem to care about5 5religion 5at all5

Krystle said...

I don't think Mersaule is a religious person at all. He even admitted it when he was talking to the priest. The priest asked if he believed in God and he said he didn't. So no he is not a religious person.

Mehchel said...

I do not consider Meursault to be a religious person at all, not even an athiest really. Sure he does not believe in God, but I don't think that him saying so to the court and not feeling anything at the mention of God or anything else "Holy" is enough to clasify him as such. He has beliefs, but he's not deeply religious.

Caitlyn said...

I dont think that Meursault is a religious person because he thinks life just kind of happens, and that's it. He doesnt really believe in anything except that there is no such thing as God, and life is just something you go through untill you die.

Jeff Wiegert said...

There is no way that Meursalt is a religious person. Not only is his belief in any sort of diety mentioned anywhere in the novel, but he doesn't live like a religious person either. He has no morals and doesn't seem to follow any sort of principles.

oneyearsixmonths said...

Meursault is a character. I don't think he is very religious, because he doesn't believe in God. However, I don't think he's really an atheist... He's just kinda there. He doesn't believe anthing will happen after he dies, besides the fact that he will be gone. He's not all "I'm an atheist" either, he's not really anything.

Anonymous said...

I guess technically he's a religous person, because he believes in something very strongly. He is very contradictory of most religions though which would not make him religous. There are just diferent ways you can look at it, and you could argue either way.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that he is a religious person. The judge even uses his 'lack of religion' as an excuse to punish him.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely not! He said that he didnt belive in God. Thats pretty much the end of it. The way he freaked out on the priest just makes this more true

Athos said...

He isn't religious really unless you want to call existentialism a religion but its really more a way of life

GitSideWayz08 said...

i do not think that he is religious at all because how can you be pationate and believe something and yet have no outward emotion

Anonymous said...

I don't think he is a religious person. Throughout the book he never really looks up to anything, or believes in anything. The lawyer and the judge even brought up his lack of religion.

Lightgoddess said...

I think he is not a religous person. He does not feel like there is an afterworld, that your body and soul just die. To my knowledege I don't really know a religion that you just die in and have no afterlife, mind, body or spirit.