Monday, September 17, 2007
POST ONE
Few of Huxley's predictions have proven to be perfectly accurate, yet many aspects of the Utopia of Brave New World feel uncomfortably like our world. Talk about the book as a prophetic vision of the future. Which aspects of the book did you find most disturbing? Which hit closest to home? Which seem the most far-fetched?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
i didnt really find anything disturbing really. and cloning seems like it was closest to home, ya know? and also the most out there is the fact that there is no aspect of family, its all like hatching and test tubes.
I think that all of the parts about human cloning are really weird because we are actually getting very close to cloning human beings and I find it kind of scary. The fact that we are actually "developing" people like they were in the novel is scary because when the novel was written it was all about things of the future that were never really expected to happen and now they are.
Strangly, the book isnt all that disturbing...yet. The whole sex thing at two and three years old was kinda far fetched. But i just keep in mind that its supposed to be a futuristic book.
The one aspect of the book that i found disturbing was making people from test tubes, which also seems really far- fetched b/c i really don't see that happening anytime too soon. But i think it may happen in the far future, the only difference from the book though that i think might occure is people would still be allowed to have kids.
In the very beginning, the book does kind of hit home with all of the scientific advancements, like test tube babies... Personally, the part where they seperate society into the different castes and then predesignate their whole life is the most disturbing to me. It really emphasizes the control. The most far-fetched is probably the part where nobody really has kids or a family... I think that there will always be evidence of this, as family has kind of survived in every civilization.
I don't like the fact that there is no family. I think I found that the most disturbing out of everything. Family is really important to me, and to think that the author predicts that it won't even be a factor in the future, is kind of weird.
I thought the part about sex becoming mroe like a social event was a lot like our world today, but nothing really "disturbed" me.
well most of it doesn't sound really disturbing, if it was the commonly known way of life, i don't think the common people would really question it, especially if they're bred not too.
the soma is a bit unrealistic because the body builds up a resistance to chemicals so that would only work for a little while
I think the cloning thing is very interesting and scary. The scary part is how close we are to actually being able to do that, and it's interesting because cloning will be a very moral decision. I just think the way the society genereally works in the book is farfetched.
I found the behavior between the children at the beginning of chapter 3 to be very disturbing. I don't really think that the whole hatching thing could become real, with the injections and deforming in order to make the fetus fit its class, but i do see our society ending childbirth, considering science has already created an artificial womb that lasts for three months.
I think the part about human cloning is very scary because of how realistic cloning could become. The part of the book that is the most frightening is how they can manipulate and treat the clones. For example, they can create close to 100 humans from just one egg. Also, everyone is brainwashed when they're young to perform a specific job.
The parts about cloning hit closest to home, because now we have the capabilities to clone, and it is very controversial. It shows where cloning might go. I think the parts about there being no families are the most farfetched, and I found it kind of disturbing that young kids are told what to think, feel, and believe, and are given a certain level of intelligence.
I think that the whole cloning process, well his ideas of it, are very disturbing. Cloning does it closestes to home, however I do not believe in cloning. Creating 96 (i guess you call them) twins, is really farfetched to me who wants to look like everyone else?? oh wait i forgot were in High School, everyone wants to look the same.
Well i mean this book isnt really THAT bad. Its not disturbing for me because ive seen alot worse. However if you think about it, it would be creepy if you were manufactured in a test tube.
I don't think the book is disturbing at all. It's there way of life and I don't find anything wrong with it.
I think this book as a whole is disturbing. But, most of all, the fact that little, innocent children are encouraged to participate in sexual games really creeps me out. The cloning thing seems kind-of realistic because science is getting smarter and braver. Who knows, in the near future, we could be clonong people. The've already cloned a lamb and a dog, what is to stop them form cloning a person. The most farfetched is the caste system. I mean, alphas, betas, gammas, deltas, and epsilons? Are we going back to the Greek alphabet here? Maybe our classes will change but not to the caste system described in this book.
I guess the governmental control makes the book seem like our world, because I think the government is gradually taking more and more control over our lives. I find the fact that the people are forced to always be happy to be disturbing and unrealistic. You cannot just make someone happy; sometimes, in my opinion, it's heathier to be upset, angry, ect. The whole sex thing is a bit disturbing as well; sex isn't just a social activity as the book makes it seem. The test tube babies are a little more realistic, I suppose. The fact that your future is determined when you're a child seems pretty far-fetched to me though. It's kinda unfair that you can't be any more or less that they make you...
I find it both interesting and scary about cloning. It's scary because we are close to cloning humans. It's disturbing that there is no family, that everyone is just living on their own, and they are bred to live that way. It's definetely interesting.
Post a Comment