Monday, August 27, 2007

POST ONE

Do you think Mersualt's character will undergo a change by the end of the novel? Defend your reasoning.

21 comments:

Athos said...

yes he will change but it will be a subtle one

HairyMouth said...

do think he will CHANGEEEEE

you can already see it beginning.

talk to my own knees

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think he will. I think by facing the consequences of his murder, he'll undergo a change. I think he'll realize that it was a mistake and that he won't be able to get his life back to how it used to be, even if he wasn't that happy with it. He may also lose Marie, which I think will cause him to feel sad, too - even if he thinks he didn't love her.

lc1215 said...

I think he will at some point undergo a change. He will probably show and express some emotion at some point in the novel, possibly as a result of this murder.

Caitlyn said...

I think that Meursault will undergo a character change. I think that jail will break him, and he will start to show emotion towards Marie, his mother, and the rest of the people that matter to him. Jail will make him realize that the people in his life are what really matters to him. He will have a lot of time to think while he is in his cell about how he lives his life and what he values.

Kayla C. said...

yeah, i think he will change, how could he not? He just killed a person.

GitSideWayz08 said...

He will change for sure its all in the foreshacowing

Krystle said...

i do not think Mersault will undergo any change b/c he simply doesn't care about anything and believes only what he wants to believe.

Anonymous said...

Hairy mouth has a good point and i agree with him, however i beleive the complete opposite of hwat he is saying. I do not beleive he will change through out the book, he seems very adamant toward his personality.

oneyearsixmonths said...

I really don't expect a change from Meursault. I think that he will just keep on being the same old guy who has locked away his emotions... I would be surprised if he actually changed though, because it would be weird to see him be all emotional. I would kinda be disappointed, too.

Amber Hogan said...

I really don't think Meursault will change by the end of the book. He lives such a depressing life to just change and start living a happy one. He just really doesn't strike me as a dynamic character.

Anonymous said...

i don't think he will change because whenever he starts showing some signs of life or emotion it almost immediately ends. I don't think that he will ever get there.

Molly said...

Yes I think he will change by the end by showing more feelings.

Jeff Wiegert said...

I think that towards the end of the novel we are going to see a change in Mersault. I don't think that it will be a major story-altering change. I think that in the trial he wil begin to realize how serious this is and that he can't live life like he used to anymore.

Anonymous said...

Yes I think he will change by showing more feelings.
I think that being in jail will change him.

Mehchel said...

I definitely think that Mersualt's character will change by the end of the book. He is starting to gain more emotion in my opinion, and he will finally open up by the end. I first noticed this in chapter five when Mersault and Marie are together, and he asks her if she'd like to dine at Celeste's with him because he "didn't want her to leave." Although this isn't much, it makes me think that he enjoys being with her and prehaps misses her when she is gone, which is a start to un-bottling his emotions. I saw other examples of possible emotion later in the novel, but I don't want to spoil any of part two for anyone who may not be that far yet.

Betz said...

I think by the end of the book he will finally show emotion when he gets his sentence for life.

Lightgoddess said...

I don't know if he will change or not. If he does it will be very subtle. It won't be like he all of a sudden shows emotions of crying before he dies.(And Yes he will die, either by noose or chair) but he will feel sorry for himself.

Ashleigh said...

I do not think Mersault will undergo a change in the novel. He has not really shown any change so far and he does not seem to want to change either. That would require him to have feeling and I don't think he is interested in that.

Anonymous said...

I think he might change but it will be slow growth.

Anonymous said...

I do belive he will change, but not how I want him to. He might change for the worst, in my opinion. I mean hes already killed someone. It can only go down hill from here.